Thursday, November 11, 2004

My first Linux visitor

WARNING - VERY NERDY!

I've had my first Linux operating system visitor, so thanks to Murphy for this. I don't pretend to know a huge amount about Linux, but I know that it is a free operating system to rival Microsoft Windows (and the others like Mac OS, but they are less overpowering). It is a system which is being built by loads of web users, and where each new development is being shared with the community. It is still in it's infancy I guess, compared to some of the other systems anyway, but to me it seems to represent what the Web and the future should be about - something that we build as a world community and is controlled by that same community. Not a program which is run by a select group to control the rest of us. That sounds a bit Matrix like maybe, but just think about the power that Microsoft has over the majority of us.

I may sounds like a bit of a hypocrite slagging off Windows because I don't have a problem with the actual system per se. I've been using it for years and get on well with it on the whole. I just have an issue with a global company having an unknown amount of control over what I do on my machine. And I have no idea how much they can actually see of what I do, who I interact with and what I store on my system. I prefer the idea of a system which is developed by everybody. That way if someone tries to write in code that will allow spying or anything else dodgy, the chances are that the others will spot it and eliminate it.

Power to the people (with big fist in the air and snarling expression on face).

No comments: