Sunday, December 26, 2004

Boxing Day 2004

Did the whole family thing today which was actually nice. I always look forward to these sort of events with a mixture of trepidation and anticipation. I like catching up with grandparents and cousins, but sometimes feel that being with them is taking me away from time by myself. I know that's quite selfish, but I don't get that much downtime any more so Dom time is pretty precious. Hving sai that today was nice although I think that extra piece of cake was probably a bit too ambitious.

And now I'm heading back to London tomorrow to see if the house is still there. Then off to Munich for what could be a pretty important and no little stressful trip. Am meeting the parents of Janet for the first time. I don't know what they think about their daughter going out with a foreigner or what they think about her coming to live with me next year (probably). Also Janet has a sometimes stormy relationship with her mum, they don't speak any English, my German is limited and we're going to be all alone together in a chalet in the Bavarian mountains. We're going cross-country skiing (which I've never done) and her parents are very fit mountain walkers (and I'm not). So the potential for hick-ups here is LARGE.
I want to make the right impression and going in with my usual 'take me as I am or don't take me at all' attitude may not be the right way to go. This time. It works fine with suppliers that have to like me whatever they really think, but with the parents of an only child it may not work. What do I wear, do I bring them a gift, do I be friendly or shy? Shit, just had a thought. What do they think about Janet and I sleeping together??? Only child, beautiful daughter, older man!?! I think I'm working myself up into a bit of a stressed-Eric over this. I'm telling myself just be cool and be yourself. But what is me really?

So wish me luck on this one. I think I'm more nervous about this than I've been about meeting any partner's parents before. I think it's because there's potentially a lot riding on this, and we could be seeing each other for many years to come. I guess I want their blessing to take this relationship between Janet and I forward.

No comments: