Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The garden ....

I spent far too much of the time this week-end in the garden trying to sort the bloody thing out. Having totally ignored it since I moved in (December) everything has grown a bit. Well, actually everything has grown a lot! And I've been putting off 'sorting' it for as long as possible, but finally it caught up with me.

So all the weeding was done, patio and drive were sprayed with weed killer, and the pace was generally swept up. And then came the lawn. The grass seems to be lots of different types (is this normal?) and most of the types don't seem to like being cut! I strimmed (is that a word?) the whole thing twice which killed me. And then mowed it the next day. Which made very sure I was dead. And it looks better, but not great. I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably have to mow it again this week!

Don't get me wrong - I love gardens. I have a deep interest in grass and am fond of flowers. I am so looking forward to sitting on the patio in the evenings, with a nice gin and coke in my hand, watching the sun go down. I'm also not afraid of hard work, but somehow gardening hasn't clicked with me. I guess when the grass is brought under control a 10 minute mow might be acceptable. But I am seriously considering a gardener!

Or, my friend Yossarian has created an amazing Japanese garden at his house, and this also appeals. I have a deep interest in the Taoists principles and this would be a place of calm, meditation and reflection. Creating that sort of area would be incredibly intense, but would also require total commitment and focus. Which is so therapeutic sometimes. And the result might be even better than sitting on the patio with a cocktail in my hand...

No comments: