Sunday, September 16, 2012

Goodwood 2012


Dad, Alf and I went to Goodwood this year and had a glorious time! The weather was outstanding, the racing good on the whole and the cars on show were quite unique and I can't see how Goodwood will top it really. the highlight for me was probably seeing the Silver Arrows cars from pre-WW2. It was the first time since those days that so many of them have been in one place at the same time, and all were driven round the track. To see them up close was very humbling and the standard of engineering on them was amazing. I can only imagine they would have been like seeing a UFO when they first appeared, racing against small nailed together garagiste machines of the time.

I can't help feeling whenever I go to Goodwood that everyone there is just having a good time and getting into the spirit of the event. We didn't dress up in period costume as I've done that before and it's not very comfortable, especially on a hot day like Saturday! It's amazing value as well as it's significantly cheaper than going to an F1 race for example and the access and racing are so much better.

I don't know if we'll go again next year, but it was great to be out with both dad's and I think we all found it relaxing and different to a normal Saturday.


Dad and Alf by the paddock

A line up of early Can-Am cars

£350 million of Ferrari 250 GTO's



Ford F3L from 1969 - the GT40 was developed from this idea


Dad and Alf by a Catalina with an appropriate name!

One of the Mercedes Silver Arrows on track

Early Silver Arrows Auto Unions on track

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight on Battle of Britain Day!
 
The AC Cobra race on the 50th anniversary of the cars

An original Ford GT40 on track



No comments: