Monday, January 10, 2005

New Year in the snows of South-East Germany

New Year was spent in a remote mountain hut with Janet and her parents. It was a lovely place about 20km from the Czech border. And as you can see from the photo we had a bit of snow.
We were with them for a couple of days and spent most of the time out walking and exploring. The air was so fresh as we were about 1000m up, it really cleared the head. We also built snowmen, had snowball fights and ate plenty of good food. New Year itself was spent in an even more remote hut deep in the forest and was only accesible on foot (about 1 hour walk from where we were staying). It was certainly one of the most remote New Years I have ever spent, but was actually one of the more relaxing as well. There was a big group of people there and everyone pretty much got on. There were a few fireworks, some open fires outside, and it snowed.
The whole meeting the parents thing went pretty well also. I was nervous about it before I arrived because I wasn't sure if my German would be good enough, if they would like me or if I would like them. But it went well. It was very relaxed and they were quite understanding about my limited German. Over the time together we actually got into political conversations, and I talked a bit about the future for Janet and I. It felt a bit like a presentation, but needed to be done to prove that I am serious about this. I've been told that they like me which is also good, and I think sets a good foundation for the future. We'll see...

1 comment:

cedia said...

What a beautiful sight!! And glad the parents like you. Good things for 2005!