Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Cupid Stunt questionnaire

Rachel put these questions on her blog (see link above) and 'suggested' (lol) we put them on ours. The questions have made me think for the first time today, and are kind of relevant to recent events so here goes:

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
As of about 30 minutes ago I have 620 songs/3.3Gb of mp3's. all in iTunes and interacting WITH MY NEW IPOD!

The last CD you bought is:
A German song called Perfekte Welle (perfect world) by a group called Juli

What is the song you last listened to before reading this?
Cry Little Sister (Theme to The Lost Boys film). There was such crap on the radion that I took control of the hi-fi in the office and decided to introduce some good music. And it was the first CD that came to hand.

Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
1. Ludovice Einaudi - I Giorni, because it was his first song I heard and it got me into his music. It's classical, but wonderfully calmingand memorable.

2. Def Leppard - Hysteria, because it was the first song that got me into them (one of my favorite groups). And there's a lot to be said for classic rock!

3. Robert Miles - Children, because I saw him perform in 1996 and his Dream House music totally blew me away. I'd never felt taken away by music in this way before and I think I finally 'got' raves and dance music. Even now I listen to his album and it takes me back to 1996 and such fantastic memories of sun, peace and being on top of the world. And no drugs were used to get to that stage at all. (Even more unusual for 1996.) I also really like how he came to create the music. His real name is Roberto Milani and he's Italian. In Italy they were really into out of town, very high music speed raves in the mid-90's. The kids would go to the raves and be so pumped up from the bpm of the music when they left that a lot of them were having accidents and being injured and killed. He was a rave DJ at the time and (along with others) decided to introduce slower songs towards the end of the raves to make people less hyper. So for the last 30 minutes or so he would gradually being the bpm in songs down. It had a marked effect very quickly and a new genre was born.

4. Chicane - Offshore, for the same reasons as Robert Miles, but in 1997. and for taking what Robert Miles did and going the next step. I still don't think anyone has really significantly advanced what Chicane have done with some of their songs.

5. Danger Danger - Monkey Business, for being a little known American group who write corny, but catchy music. Great guitar solos, big hair and lots of energy. A poor man's Guns 'n' Roses.

This is such a snaphot and reflects my current mood. Maybe I'll come back and do this list in a month and I'll add some more. My music collection has been described by several people as 'eclectic' and 'varied'. Music for me represents memories of places and adventures.

2 comments:

naughtygirl said...

i love that robert miles song. i think its just beautiful!!

Dom said...

Thanks Rogue, I stand corrected. lol. That maybe explains some of the lyrics that a German was telling me then!