Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Election watch

It was announced today that we will be having a general election on May 5 in the UK. where we get to elect a new government for the next 5 years. I'm not going to have a particular rant about politics or voting. At least not yet. Save to say that I do feel privileged to have the vote because I know much of the world does not have it. I also believe that I have the right not to vote if I choose. But if I choose not to vote then I have not right to complain about politicians or what they do because I have chosen not to participate in their election.

I do have a problem with many of the politicians though. The desire for power should automatically preclude you from ever getting it. Unfortunately a system hasn't been established that stops the buggers from getting into power and messing things up. Also I feel that if i would not want to have a drink with them then they are not deserving of my vote/support.

So in the spirit of how I feel about the next four weeks of bollocks and lying to get into power (otherwise known as the election campaign) I will be monitoring the amount of junk mail I get through the letterbox. Ie. which party is so desperate to get into power that they are prepared to chew up the planet producing leaflets and other landfill. I will keep track of it via a vote caster, where each party gets one vote for each piece of junk I get through the door. As a reference I will also monitor the number of pizza "restaurant" leaflets I also get. For some reason we seem to have more of these places in my area than you find in Rome!

I'm not sure what I'll do with the results, but it might be interesting. Equally it might not. But we'll see ...

No comments: