Saturday, September 08, 2012

Sloe update 1




The first effort was partially successful. The Sloes were taken out of the freezer and based to split them. I bought a jar to put them in and it wasn't big enough to take all of the Sloes, sugar and gin so I halved the quantities. The recipe for version 1 is:

300g of frozen bashed Sloes
200g of Sugar
350ml of Tesco Gin

It is all in a jar in the drinks cupboard, but it turns out that the jar is not watertight so I am planning to decant it to another jar when i receive the ones I've ordered online. I am going to keep mixing the liquid until I do this.

I went eploring again at lunchtime today and found some more Blackthorns, one of which was loaded with very ripe Sloes. I am itching to pick them and bottle them, and this time I think I will prick them fresh rather than bashing them frozen.

This whole project is exciting and frustrating at the same time as I want to know how I'm progressing, but I won't know until Christmas!

No comments: