Thursday, December 23, 2004

House update (final)

Moved into the new house on Monday and everything went exceptionally well. Was in, unpacked and sitting in my lounge by mid-afternoon. I was thinking of posting saying I will never move again, but actually it went OK. So I probably will in the future (move again). It took a bit of time to get used to the house, but it has dramatically improved my quality of life already. Small things which many people take for granted like central heating - I haven't had it for 4 years. It was never a problem because the flat never got that cold, but I had to actually get up and do something to create warmth. Now it comes on automatically 30 minutes before I get up. The quiet - I used to live on a main road which was quite noisy. It was like a steady background hum which I got used to, but now the road is so quiet. It actually woke me up on my first night because it was so quiet. It's wonderful though. Having a washing machine/dryer - no more laundrettes for Dom! And I'm sure there will be other things which I will notice soon, but these have got me so excited I can't concentrate on anything else.

I feel strangely un-emotional about leaving the flat as well. I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the place, and never really had any problems in the area. A lt of people have come and gone and a lot has happened in the flat as well. But as I left on Monday morning I didn't even really look back. Maybe it will be different when the sale completes. I think it suggests that the house is definitely the way to go.

Unfortunately I came back to find chaos in the office. Coupled with this being silly social season I haven't had time to do much personal stuff. I have discovered a couple of nice restaurants though so it wasn't a wasted week by any means.

No comments: